An room in our unfinished basement was finished to create a music/craft room.
Custom built-in shelves and curved desk were made out of 3/4″ melamine and trimmed with white iron-on melamine edging. A Kregg shelf pin jig was used to create custom shelf heights. The built-in shelving unit was trimmed with MDF mouldings – baseboard #514 for the two vertical pieces for the centre shelving section, S4S #MFSP105 & sash bead #9532 were used to create the custom header for the built-in shelves. Built-in shelf backer board was made out of particle/MDF board and painted a contrasting colour for a pop of colour.
The S4S #MFSP105 & sash bead #9532 mouldings were used to trim out the top of the doors (French & solid core).
1/2″ MDF was used to make a custom window sill and jambs for the window. The S4S #MFSP105 & sash bead #9532 mouldings were also used to trim out the top of the window.
– 1/2″ MDF (window sill and jambs)
– White iron-on melamine edging (used on all built in melamine shelves)
– 3/4″ melamine (for built in shelves and built desk)
– 11/16″ x 4-9/16″ (MFSP105) S4S MDF moulding
– 1/2″ x 1-3/8″ (9532) MDF sash bead moulding
– 1/2″ x 5-1/4″ (514) MDF baseboard moulding
– Particle/MDF board
– Shelf pins
– Kreg shelf pin jig
For the Doors
– 2 x 24 inch hollow core interior door (slabs)
– Pine door jamb
– 32 inch solid core interior door (pre hung)
– Door hinges
– Door lever style handles
– MDF moulding for finishing
Solid core doors was used as entrance door to a music room. Solid core door was used to reduce noise. Hollow core doors were hung (by us!) as French doors on closet. French doors allow easy access to musical instruments. Moulding was used to trim out doors.